24 July 2010

My Father

My father is visiting me in Moscow.  He is curious.  He asks many questions.  And he does not hear well.  So, the dialog between us goes something like this:
Father:  Why is X and why is Y?
Son:  X is explained in this way and Y is explained in that way.
Father:  What?
Son, speaking more slowly and loudly:  X is explained in this way and Y is explained in that way.
Father:  What?
Son, shouting now:  X is explained in this way and Y is explained in that way.
Father:  Why are you shouting?
Son:  Because you don’t hear well.
Father:  What?
Son:  Sigh … never mind.  Dad, while we are on the topic, why don’t you finally get a hearing aid?
Father:  A hearing aid?  I do not want to become dependent on anything.  Besides, it will make me look old.
Son:  Make you look old?  You are eighty-six years old.
Father:  What?
As for the last question, my father chooses not to hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment